Friday, March 2, 2012

Chronic Pain

For about 9 years or so I have had varying extremes of pain that is pretty constant (ie. chronic). Due to this pain I have seen multiple doctors, gone to physical therapy, taken various drugs, been adjusted multiple times, & on and on. Recently my sweet husband indicated that he was done with me being in pain all the time- probably because I make everyone's life miserable.
Years ago it was determined that I suffered from something called sacroilliac joint  dysfunction. Basically I have a constant pain in my behind! Some days it is worse on one side than the other but for the most part something always hurts. (This video is the best explanation that I have found)

Due to my husband's ultimatum to figure this out I am going to yet another doctor. After my initial visit with this new doctor I realized how long this has been going on. I realized that I have  tried to figure this out. I have worked to lose weight and get stronger. I have worked really hard to be able to walk and be there for my children but there is no guarantee that I can always be there. 
For instance, last June my in-laws invited us to Vail with them for a few days. I did something and threw everything out of alignment and BAM I had to find a chiropractor ASAP! The cane was pulled out and my lack of mobility made me a burden rather than a joy to have around.
Unfortunately I also get to have migraines & depression & back pain & neck pain. I really do try not to tell people that I am in pain or that I hurt. I try to suck it up more often than not but something has got to give. I can't continue to be such a bummer for my family.
After I spoke with the doctor I had a mini breakdown and realized that right now there are NO answers. I don't want surgery & I don't want no answers. I want to at least understand and hopefully find an effective treatment.  In some ways the idea of not living in constant pain is just as scary as coping with it forever.  If I am not in this role  then WHO AM I? If I feel good all the time- is that even possible?- then what do I do with that?
I am sure this all sounds quite self absorbed but this is me trying to figure this out and also because there are others that feel this way too.
I don't know what my answers will be; thyroid? disc issues? Who knows? I do know that somehow I have to explain this to my children so that they don't misunderstand my pain and frustration as anger towards them.  They have to learn that when they make a mess or neglect chores my frustration comes from not only knowing the time and effort it will take to clean it all up BUT also the pain I must re-endure to accomplish a task that had been done.  This will probably  be harder to teach them then finding the root of these issues.

For a past description click here

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh, Katie! I am sorry! I hope they figure it out! I had some issues last year where every day for months was full of pain, and it is depressing! I can't imagine it being years! It would be so nice to finally get some answers. When are all your tests? Let me know what I can do! :/