Friday, April 1, 2011

Hormones....

So I am going to rant for a minute. Many of my closest friends have heard this but I am going to just put this out there for public consumption.

Image of HGH
Somatotropine.GIF
There is a crazy diet out there called the HGH or HGC diet. The premise of this diet is that you either inject or swallow a hormone extracted from the urine of pregnant women (at least that's where "they" say it comes from) to suppress hunger while limiting your diet to a mere 500 calories a day. Now I have a multitude of issues with this.
FIRST, anyone who eats only 500 calories will lose weight. Try it for a week and you will see. Not smart but effective.
SECOND, do we not understand what hormones do??? You can go here for a full explanation but basically they control messages sent out to the cells of your body. There are tons of different hormones all with specific purposes. Testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, and on and on. Now if one's hormones go haywire, or in this case we cause them to go haywire, what messages are these hormones sending our cells? Say you have one cell that is trying to change and then BAM it receives a good does of an unusual hormone. What's a defenseless little cell to do but to become ....oh I don't know CANCER!!! Seriously people don't our genes have enough to deal with without us mucking about with it all.
NEXT, growing up in a semi-agricultural background I was very aware of the hyper-criticism of the use of hormones on animals that are a part of our food chain. While I was young the big hoopla was over bovine somatatropin- this is a hormone that some farmers were giving their cattle to increase milk production. The amount that this hormone leached into the milk supply was minimal at best but the alarm was sounded so BST was all but eliminated from use.

The same goes for hormone free chicken, pork products, produce, ect. In any grocery store you go to you will see HORMONE FREE everywhere. IS this good? Probably. But now we stupid humans are skipping the process of even diluting hormones in the food chain and we've gone right to shooting them in our slightly large thigh muscle!
How vain or desperate do you have to be to engage in this type of dieting? I have had family and acquaintances indulge in this for a time and it terrifies me!
Just because HGH occurs "naturally" doesn't mean that tweaking your HGH level is a good idea. In fact I have read that HGH production goes up during sleep. I think since I have about 20-30 pounds I'd like to loose I will just ask for a chemically induced coma. (This explains why my brother is a rail- sleep= HGH.) Well I'm off to take a nap and save $ and lose weight spontaneously. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Kristina Tolman said...

LOVE IT! I can just sleep away the pounds? I totally agree. DO NOT mess with the hormones people. Look at what just the ones we came with do to our personalities once a month. Dangerous stuff....

Steve and Julie said...

Yes, yes, yes. 500 calories a day will do it - jeesh. I think I'll making napping a daily routine if this hormonal jump comes with it. Nice.