Thursday, March 17, 2011

Finding joy when joy doesn't find you.....

So I have a problem- don't we all- I find my job exhausting and often unfulfilling. That being said I must mention that I am a full-time mom so this lack of fulfillment comes with a rather high degree of guilt, remember this is a talent of mine.
So when I came across this article, Why every mom needs a purpose beyond motherhood | Mormon Times, this woman was speaking my language. In the culture which I live there is this understood goal that you will marry and be a wife and mother and if at all possible you will be the primary caregiver by staying at home. I call this sacrificing yourself on the alter of motherhood. However noble and grand this concept may be in practice it is a great deal more complicated. In a world where you don't get noticed unless you are loud and obnoxious being fulfilled and feeling successful by being "just" a mom is nearly impossible.
I want to be the mom who does fun stuff with her kids and doesn't get stressed out. I want to be the mom who can keep the house clean and the kids fed and forget my dreams and yet, what would that tell my kids. It's as if I am an epic hypocrite by saying,"You can be or do anything that you put your mind to." But then I don't do the things that I have always intended to do. Or it teaches them that a clean house is more important than a bed time story.

So here is to FINDING JOY. Sometimes joy seems to just happen but it always takes a great deal of work to get there. The most joyful times in my life took months of hell before I could experience the joy. I intend to make joy a priority and sometimes that means actually giving stuff up...stuff that makes joy a little too hard to find.

This must be the joy I find. The little victories (and the big) that I get to experience because I do have this job & before I know it the job will change and my employers will need me less.
Some glimpses of joy!






3 comments:

Elicia said...

Hey, can I just tell you how much I'm so glad that you're my cousin!?!? You always seem to say what I've been feeling and or thinking. You always make me feel better because then I know that I'm not the only one feeling that way. I wish I knew better how to put my thoughts and feelings into words like you do. Anyway, thanks so much and I love you!

Jenny said...

I love that article and it's a great reminder. I find that when I'm including my own purposeful goals into my life, I'm a better mother. The quote about filling our lives with being busy makes the well dry was exactly what I needed to read today.

Marsha said...

Amen sista! You're doing a great job! So many of us look to you with envy at the bit of mental capability you still have left through all the chaos of motherhood! My mind is MUSH! It gets better as they get older. Take time to snuggle and ask for Merry Maids for your birthday, mother's day and Christmas. : )