Tuesday, April 19, 2011

ADDICTED

OK so I have a confession to make. I am addicted. No not to sugar or chocolate, well those too, but to a television show. I am in LOVE with Who Do You Think You Are? What you've never heard of it? Well then what kind of friend am I to not expose you to this addiction of mine.
US/UK Logo
It all started last year when a new NBC television show was announced with the premise of following the genealogy of certain famous Americans. Now I may not be a fan of all of the stars that they profile on this television show but the process that they go through is so fascinating that I just can't stop watching.
When the shows started I made the kids be quiet, and later they joined me, so that I could take in every minute detail of the discovery of their roots. As an American who had immigrants as early as the Mayflower and as late as the 1880s it fascinates me how jumbled most Americans' DNA is. It also goes to show that you can NEVER judge a book by it's cover. I mean seriously what is "Jewish" or "Irish" supposed to look like; this show has made it quite apparent that until you look you don't really know who you are.
Australian LOGO

Of course there have only been 2 seasons of the show here in the states but like most things the show did not start here. NOPE it is the brainchild of the BBC, like a lot of my favourite shows. (Yes I meant to spell it that way.)
And in the UK it has been on for years! Allowing me to extend my viewing pleasure, over the internet of course. I was astonished to find out that it has been on in the UK since 2004! This may tide me over until next year here in the US.
Now we "Yanks" aren't the only ones to leach off "Brits". No NO. Actually many countries have their own Who Do You Think You Are? franchises. (Do you hear the angels singing....ahhhh!) I know that I may be overreacting a bit but no other television series has grabbed me like this in a long time.
Canadian Logo

Who Do You Think You Are? to me is a tool that has allowed the world to be exposed to the fascination that we need to all have with where we come from. This simple television show does not sugar coat the past. It allows the researchers to go on a familial treasure hunt for those who sacrificed and suffered, who overcame and lost out so that we can all be here today to honour them.
Who Do You Think You Are? (Irish TV series).png
Ireland LOGO
So I challenge you to give the show a glance and maybe it will inspire you to find the past, YOUR PAST. Who knows what you may find. A criminal or a saint, a king or a conqueror, a bigamist or polygamist? Who knows! Just give it a try, you may find it as addicting as I do. And even if someone else in your family is doing it ALL then ask them to share the information.
Happy hunting!

P.S. For further information click on the following links. If you can't find the shows on youtube.com then try here. Your local libraries may have copies as well

Who Do You Think You Are? also has versions in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Finland, Holland, Russia, Poland and possibly others. Not all of these shows are called by the same name but have a similar premise. BBC Wales has another show called Coming Home which is shorter in length but equally riveting.

P.P.S. Some of my favourite episodes:

No comments: