I loved this book. The help is another success for southern writers. Kathryn Stockett caught all I know and remember about growing up in the south. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly!Miss Stockett was able to do justice to the time period, the different characters and above all the setting. I haven't been so homesick for Louisiana in YEARS. I found myself wishing I was sitting on a porch drinking lemonade watching the crepe myrtles, azaleas, magnolias and every other flower that filled the senses at this time of the year. I nearly grabbed a bowl of grits while I read it was so deliciously entertaining! People just don't understand that to feed you is to LOVE you. Being mostly German and being raised in the South I take my gastronomic love fest very seriously.
I loved the characters and the way that she captured everything that makes me say oh my I remember that. (Maison Blache, Community coffee, hose pipe, caramel cake, junior league...oh my I could go on!) I identified with both Miss Celia and Skeeter most because althoug I consider myself from Louisiana, most people wouldn't since I don't go back generations there. But one thing is for certain once you get a taste for Tabasco and Tony's you are a part of Louisiana and it is a part of you!
I encourage everyone to read this book. It is like a grownup version of To Kill A Mockingbird, I wonder if Kathryn Stockett will be our Harper Lee.
No comments:
Post a Comment