So, Ryan and I haven't even been married for nine years yet and the amount of junk is insane. With the move we have realized that it is time to let go of most everything that isn't necessary!
Can I just say that between moving and reading the book Little Heathens - a memoir of growing up during the Great depression- I have decided that I am seriously going to cut back! I don't know if it will be as drastic as during the Depression but who seriously needs the amount of junk that I have! I know that I have some wedding gifts that I have NEVER used, why? Why have I hauled them around for nearly 9 years? I don't even know who gave me them anymore. Why do we allow ourselves to hang on to all this JUNK?
I am going to take the montra that just because it is free doesn't mean I NEED it. I have found cupboards full of nick-nacks and just stuff that I haven't used and probably never will use!
I think that I am going to spend money on experiences from now on. You know a really memorable vacation with good pictures and FUN. My kids need these experiences not toys or other stuff that doesn't make any difference.
Maybe I need to come up with a website where you register for a vacation- family or otherwise- and people just contribute to the amount needed for the trip when they want to get you a gift. What do you think? Wouldn't it be great to have a trip ready to go for your family at the end of each year rather than something that is fleeting. I'll work on that idea.
Don't get me wrong I love gifts and expressions of appreciation and love ...BUT as I see mine and Ryan's Grandparents and parents move & pass away and go through their things the more I realize that when I am 70 I don't want to be hauling around an unused wedding gift from 50 years ago. Whoa that's a nightmarish thought, ugh!
So wish me luck as I now plunge in to the mountain of boxes that contain very few IMPORTANT things and let go of it all....Or at least most of it...Ok let's say 50%. Or as Michael said the other day, "We are getting rid of 100% of the junk" Until it's his junk of course.
1 comment:
Amen Sista! We've only been married just under 2 years and I'm feeling the same way! Good luck to you.
Post a Comment