As I was once again contemplating life, the universe, and everything I remembered a phrase that has become popular recently...I CAN DO HARD THINGS. At first I pushed this phrase to the side thinking, "I don't do anything that is HARD." But then I remembered how many of those with whom I have the privilege to be acquainted with have given me so much perspective on my hard things. I have not suffered any major "tragedies", as I deem them, and so I often feel that there is nothing hard in my life. Again, I remembered that once I was wisely counseled to not diminish my troubles because someone else's may be bigger.
So finally I decided to recognize one hard thing that I did today. My thing, getting out of bed. Sure it's not earth-shattering to get out of bed but most days it's down right hard. Some days I don't do that hard thing or if I do the pull to return is just too great to resist. But today I did it. I got out of bed!
Sure I didn't end poverty or cure a disease. I didn't write a thesis or build a house but I did conquer my hard thing. Of course this isn't the only hard thing that I have- there are loads- but right now it's one of the hardest.
I guess that the take away is this. Don't compare your hard thing to someone else's. Your hard thing may seem all together insignificant in the grand scheme of things but if it's hard for you then embrace that.
I often do that compare my hard thing to someone else's and because of my personality I often end up at the bottom of that game. That isn't fair to me. It isn't fair that I look in the mirror and only see the negative to the point that I avoid looking in the mirror. So today not only will I stay out of bed BUT I will try to look in the mirror and not say anything negative or at the very least..."If I can't say something nice I won't say anything at all"

No comments:
Post a Comment