I was not a particularly beautiful child or popular. Until High School I had very FEW friends and usually the male friends way out numbered the female friends. So, as I began Kindergarten for the second time I found myself terribly lonely. I often sat alone and played alone especially while at school. To the teacher's credit she did observe this and tried to be helpful.
One day while on the play ground a group of two or three girls approached me. I was not sure what they wanted but soon it became quite clear. As they approached, the tallest girl in the group stated, "The teacher told us to play with you."
There it was, my defining moment. What I had hoped for and longed for had become stained by knowing that these girls were 'told' to play with me. I clearly remember thinking, "Don't do me any favors. If you have to be told to play with me then NO THANKS." Of course I probably played with them for that recess but not much really after that day.
This one moment has forever defined who I am. I often feel very lonely, especially now after moving. It is worst when I am in a crowded room. Even when people are sitting next to me or are trying to be friendly I worry that it's just surface and no substance.
Leaving friends of substance behind and being friendless is HARD. It is hard to not have a purpose or direction or anyone to talk to or share with. Where I used to be able to chat with my husband throughout the day he can no longer do that with his job. So the only adult I interact with only has about an hour of decent time to spend with all of us before he gets tired and bed beckons.
I want to reach out but I know no one. I don't want to burden others with feeling that they have to be my friend.
I am alone and that is how it is. One dear friend told me that it takes a year to make friends. Well, one month down.
4 comments:
I feel your pain, my friend. I've done this as an adult too many times, started fresh and had no friends. I know I have more times ahead of me and it does get easier each time. Still stinks though. Hang in there.
Dearest sister,
I want to tell you a little story about a little girl who has always looked up to her big sister... Her entire life she has seen this amazing person with many friends! Despite what that amazing person may think her little sister has always admired her social ability and wanted to be more like her! Katie, I love you and have always wanted to be more like you because I know you are a remarkable woman who can make friends where ever you go! HUGS TO YOU BIG SISTER!
Love,
your biggest fan and baby sister!zomeekd
I know what you are going through for sure. I have moved several times over the last 10 years and starting over is tough. It really does take at least six months to settle in and sometimes longer than that to find true friends. Just remember that you have to put yourself out there a little and be a friend to find a friend. Get involved in the school and ward and neighborhood. The more people you meet, the better chance you'll meet "your kind of people". And take advantage of having your best friend with you too. This last move we made meant that my husband wasn't on the road ALL the time. I have learned to truly cherish the time I get with him now too. Good luck! Your house looks great and I've heard the area out there is wonderful.
Immerse yourself in school and in church and before long you will have new friends with substance! You are a WONDERFUL person and people will soon learn that. I can't tell you how many times I cried in random places after feeling so alone! The hardest thing after moving (for me at least) is going places like Target or the grocery store and NEVER bumping into someone I know. After awhile, it happens again and I find people I know everywhere. It takes a year...but reach out to others. There are so many people who are lonely and just don't say so. We are all hurting inside for some reason or another.
You are wonderful!
Post a Comment