Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Meeting an Author

Thanks to The Denver Post I was able to find out that Kathryn Stockett was going to be at a local bookstore doing a Q&A and book signing. Kathryn Stockett is the breakout author of The Help - which I previously posted about. I am not usually one to go to these type of things but Mr. Norris was in town and I thought what the heck.
I arrived at the Tattered Cover in Highlands Ranch and grabbed my number and my seat waiting for about an hour to hear Ms. Stockett's lovely voice. She was indeed a lovely lady and answered some good questions.
* She was rejected about 60 times for this book! Amazing the tenacity this little lady has. Boy do those publishers and agents hate themselves now.
* The cover with the 3 little birds has absolutely NOTHING to do with the story. No hidden meaning. No unique perspective. NOTHING! To quote Ms. Stockett:
"We found a lovely black and white picture of a black hand holding a white child's hand. I thought it was perfect but everyone was worried that people would think that the book was about race. (eyes roll) So after 60 rejections and going through tons of covers I didn't give a rat's (you know what- my substitution) what the cover looked like.
* She did not model Skeeter after herself. As she stated, "Skeeter was homely"
* She writes books about women for women and so the men are secondary. She modeled Skeeter's daddy after her grandfather and just wanted him to be considered a really good man.
* There is a movie coming and Steven Speilberg has picked it up. The lady who does the voice of Minnie on the audio book will be Minnie in the Movie.
* She is working on another book for women about women. Probably in the next three years. This will also be set in Mississippi but during the Depression.

Although I didn't get to ask my question in the general forum I did ask it when I got up to get my book signed. So what was my profound question?????
Are you gonna do a cookbook of Minnie's recipes?
She said that she hasn't really thought about it but that if she were to do it the proceeds would go to a charity. So email her and ask her for those recipes and then maybe it will happen.

It was interesting to hear how she came to be an author and it even made me think, could I do that?

No comments: