So I have been thinking about the stuff that I read. I like almost every genre and I am willing to read nearly anything HOWEVER I have noticed recently that I haven't read anything that is very happy. I mean there are happy parts to many books I have read but then again maybe art is once again mimicking life. Isn't life made up of snapshots of happiness mixed in with a great deal of enduring?
Is it an unreasonable expectation for me to want to read something light? Have a good chuckle? Some light things can be superficial and you know what that is ok. So I will list some of the happier/lighter things that I have read. Feel free to include suggestions.
1. Much ado About Nothing by: William Shakespeare ( I love the satire and confusion of this play. It is hilarious to see how some things never change even after 500years.)
2. The Importance of Being Ernest by: Oscar Wilde (Another play that is full of satire and wit. It is also a fairly decent movie.)
3. Pippi Longstockingg by: Astrid Lindrgen (Great story that show that our adult inhibitions are what often puts a damper on how life really should be. Oh how I'd love to be Pippi for a day.)
4. The Little Prince(Le Petit Prince) by: Antoine de Saint-Exupery ( This book again uses the perspective of a child to find joy in the small things. Although there are some SAD parts overall this is a life changing book and is even better when read in the original French. I found great symbolism in this book too.
5. Charlotte's Web by: E.B. White (You be the judge: happy or sad? I am conflicted about this one. I love this book but where does it fall. I lean more on the realistic rather than happy or sad. Happy for Wilbur, sad for Charlotte? Sad for Wilbur too? )
6. Tuesdays With Morrie by: Mitch Albom (Ultimately sad but what great perspective.)
7. The Last Lecture by: Randy Pausch ( Knowing that the author is now deceased this one again leaves me feeling like this is reality at its best. What a great message and overall I felt that it was worth my time and I felt good after reading it.
Feel free to suggest some books that I may enjoy that will lighten my mood. (FYI- I started Three Cups of Tea but the writing style was not that great and made it difficult for me to plow through. Plus I didn't find it that happy; inspirational yes. Happy I don't know.)
2 comments:
You need to read A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. That will brighten your day.
Ooh, thought of another one. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. Laugh out loud quirky and hilarious.
Post a Comment